Chapstick Chapstick

Wednesday, January 17, 2018

Gay by Association

I recently had a breakup. Don’t worry, I’ve transitioned from the Celine Dion playlist to the Kelly Clarkson playlist of the post-breakup. This was my first lesbian breakup. Did I unlock some sort of lesbian achievement? No? Let’s just take a moment to imagine what a lesbian achievement would look like… Probably something like this:


Anyway, aside from the obvious heartbreak and disappointment, I had one feeling of loss that I hadn’t expected. I went from being a visible lesbian back to an invisible lesbian. You see, my ex was super butch. Once I was complaining that no one knew I was gay, and she jokingly said that when I was with her, I was “gay by association.” All jokes aside, this was totally true. When we went out together, I became a lesbian in other people’s eyes. Oh boy, did I love it! People would look at us as a couple and know I was gay. It was fun and validating and liberating (and sometimes scary), but mostly it felt like I was really out.

After we broke up, I found myself missing that visibility. I felt like I took a step back into the closet. Obviously, my gayness is not dependent on another person, but having a butch girlfriend certainly helps when you look the way I do. *rolls eyes at my straight aesthetic*

In addition to the visibility, I missed her network of lesbian friends. I wasn’t close to any of them, but I loved hanging out in a room full of lesbians. When we went out, it was either all lesbians, or the lesbians outnumbered the straight people. Don’t get me wrong, my lesbian gurus are my rocks, but I only have five. My resolution for 2018 is to find more lesbians… for friends, for dating, for UHauling?? Who knows what 2018 has in store for this little chapstick femme?! But seriously, I want to surround myself with lesbian friends so I can access that “gay by association” space that feels so cozy.

4 comments:

  1. If you still need more friends. I am here.

    C.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time i take a look back at what had happened to me i will always appreciate the great Dr Agbazara ( agbazara @ gmail . com ) for what he has done for me. This spell caster brought back my lover, who left me just for no reason. I met the great spell caster and he told me all i need to do! Now am glad Dr Agbazara brought him back and he love me more than he used to! you can also contact him on his active Email address ( agbazara@gmail.com ) or add him on Whats-app: ( +2348104102662 ).



































    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my wife cheating 7 months after our marriage, I started wondering why she was cheating on me with her Ex boyfriend. She filed a divorce and left home. I cried to my friend for help because I didn't want to lose her to him. My friend told me how lord Bubuza fixed his relationship with his spell after 2 years of breakup so I spoke to lord Bubuza for help via WhatsApp: +1 984 240 7211. He responded and said my wife will come back to me begging on her knees for forgiveness. I did as he instructed. It was exactly 24 hours after lord Bubuza finish casting the spell and my wife started calling me and begging me to forgive and accept her back, We are happy together now. Lord Bubuza is a GOD on Earth, he has brought happiness back to our home with his spell. Are you heartbroken? Contact him via WhatsApp: +1 984 240 7211 or email: lordbubuzamiraclework @ hotmail . com ....

    ReplyDelete