Chapstick Chapstick

Friday, January 19, 2018

Attraction: Are You My Type, Am I Yours?

I’ve been in love with two women: one femme and one butch. When I was in love with a femme, I always thought, “Gosh, femme women are my cup of tea.” But then my first girlfriend was butch and it totally flipped. I thought, “Wow, butch women are gorgeous. I’ll definitely marry a butch woman.” Well, here we are again, and I’m just as confused as ever.

My favorite character on the L word was Bette, by FAR. She’s a gorgeous femme and a total heartthrob:


But then there’s Rachel Maddow:


*swoons even harder*

Obviously, personality matters WAY more than physical appearance. I truly believe that I could be physically attracted to anyone if she had the right personality. But, I would find comfort in having a “type.” This probably stems from my love of categories and labels. I know, I know, labels put people into boxes and erase individuality. However, categories make me feel understood and less alone. If I’m a femme who loves butch women, I can bond with other butch-lovers about our butch-lovin’ (*trademarks butch-lovin’*). If I’m a femme-loving-femme, I can find other femme-femme couples who understand me. It’s really about finding people who get me, which is hard since I don’t even get me.

My lesbian gurus think this is absurd. I should just date the whole spectrum of women and allow myself to fall for whoever is kind, funny, smart, thoughtful, and loves Beyoncé (duh). But, I can’t help but wish I had more clarity in what/who I’m looking for.

When I dated men, I always dated the same type of guy. They were all tall, skinny, and super nerdy. Usually they wore glasses; the glasses weren’t mandatory, just strongly recommended. Now I’m dating women, and the plethora of women who interest me blows my mind! Are lipstick lesbians cute? Sometimes. Could I picture myself in a relationship with a lipstick lesbian? I can’t, but I also couldn’t picture myself with a butch woman a year ago and that felt right. It’s confusion all around. 


No comments:

Post a Comment